Bureau of Border and Alien Police of the Presidium of the Police Force
The Bureau of Border and Alien Police of the Presidium of the Police Force was founded on 1st April 2000 as an authority with competences for the whole country in the field of ensuring controls on the borders of the Slovak Republic. Within its organisational framework, there are three levels of management and that on a central level, reginal level and local level. In the following years, there were many organisational and structural changes, which were connected particularly with the entry of the Slovak Republic into European Union in 2004 and with its entry into Schengen Area in 2007.
Within the Ministry of Interior of the Slovak Republic, the BAPB is integrated in the organisational framework of the Presidium of the Police Force. Currently, the most important task of the BAPB is the “integrated border management” in the Slovak Republic. Integrated border management is one of the key elements in ensuring common area
of freedom, security and justice in the European Union.
The BAPB is an authority with vertical management with competences of ensuring direct command with regard to the subordinated organisational units on the central, regional and local level. The main objective is to ensure uniform approach in border control, common system of planning and training and widespread exchange of information on all levels of the management.
The BAPB directly manages all subordinated organizational authorities within fulfilling tasks in the field of border control, fight against irregular migration and smuggling of migrants, investigation of crime connected to irregular migration, risk analysis, cooperation with Frontex Agency, travel documents analysis, granting of a residence/stay
to foreigners, verification of the residence/stay of the foreigners, expulsion of foreigners, visa practice and in a given framework in the field of asylum procedure and realization of Dublin regulation.
After the entry into Schengen Area, the Slovak Republic has an external land border with the Ukraine in a length of 97,8 kilometres and an external aerial border on three “schengen” airports in Bratislava, Košice and in Poprad.
The Directorate of Border and Alien Police Sobrance is responsible on a regional level for the whole area of external land border with Ukraine. It directly manages ten units of border control of the Police Force. These units are responsible on a local level for carrying out border control and border surveillance on the external border. Excercise of
a border control is based on a 4 level system of control. On the first level, there is technical equipment placed exactly on the external border (for example continual camera network EBAS). In the second level, there are powers and means of “first line units” directly on the external border and in its close vicinity (police officers of the unit of border control of the Police Force). In the third level, there are own powers and means of the units of the Directorate of the Border and Alien Police Sobrance (mobile intervention unit). The fourth level is created by “helpful level”, which is ensured by individual regional directorates of the Police Force in Prešov and Košice (particularly traffic police and police responsible for public order).
The control of the external aerial border on the airports in Bratislava, Košice and Poprad is ensured by units of border control of the Police Force within nonstop duty 24/7. Besides ensuring a control of borders, they have co-responsibilities also in the field of protection of civil aviation traffic together with the security units of the airport.
The National Unit for Fight against Irregular Migration is responsible for detection and investigation of cross border crime connected to irregular migration. This unit makes organisational part of the BAPB.
Units of Alien Police of the Police Force are primarily responsible for the control of the foreigners on the territory of the Slovak Republic. These units are integrated in the organisational structure of the BAPB as basic units on a local level. By carrying out their tasks, they use also the help of other services of the Police Force, such as police units responsible for public order, traffic, as well as criminal police.
Main tasks and responsibilities of the BAPB:
- manages, guides, coordinates and controls the work of border police and alien police,
- ensures and is responsible for the control of the external border, which includes carrying out of a border control, as well as
- cooperates within the responsibilities and tasks carried out by opening, closing and changes in the character of the
border crossing points on the external borders of the European Union (hereinafter referred to as “the EU”),
- is responsible for carrying out tasks within the temporary reintroducing of the internal borders of the EU,
- ensures observing international obligations and tasks resulting from the membership of the BAPB in the Frontex Agency,
- carries out the tasks answering to the enquiries of the police units, judicial authorities, prosecution authorities,
Slovak Intelligence Service and the Ministry of Defence of the Slovak Republic on the border crossing points regarding ban
of movement of the persons, vehicles and things,
- ensures fulfilling of tasks in the field of fight against falsifying and forging travel documents, visa, residence permits and
- ensures training of the police officers in its competence in the field of detection of new forms and methods of falsification,
forge of travel documents and other documents,
- ensures and is responsible for the work of Main Border Plenipotentiary of the Slovak Republic and carries out tasks resulting
from international agreements on regime and cooperation on the State Border, from bilateral agreements containing the question of the
- issues the drafts of legislative acts, international agreements, acts transposing EU directives and of internal regulations regarding the
competence of the BAPB, cooperates by initiating other legal regulations,
- ensures and coordinates activities related to carrying out of the expulsion and placing foreigners into detention centres for the aliens,
- ensures and coordinates activities related to carrying out of readmission of persons and police transfers through the external border,
- cooperates within the activities related to the carrying out of the readmission of persons and police transfers on the internal
border of the EU,
- fulfils tasks in the field of visa policies and visa practice,
- issues binding opinions for the directorates of the border and alien police and for the directorate of alien police in the issue
of granting permanent residence to foreigners from the purpose of the foreign policy interest of the Slovak Republic,
- carries out intelligence and search of the border police and alien police with the aim of prevention and detection of organised, repeated
and serious crime related to crossing the State Borders and illegal stay on the territory of the Slovak Republic and searches
for information on operative situation and coordinates the measures in fight against organised crime,
- carries out investigation and methodically guides and carries out summary investigation in the extent stipulated by internal regulation,
- settles disputes on local competence in summary investigation,
- coordinates fulfilment of tasks of the basic units of the border police and alien police in the field of organizing the information
exchange, police measures, verification of identity of persons entering the territory of the Slovak Republic without valid
- carries out tasks in the field of information exchange,
- carries out risk analysis in connection with ensuring border control and fight against irregular migration,
- carries out tasks of central authority in the field of irregular migration, particularly for exchange of information with Europol and
Vysegrad Group (V4),
- administers statistical reviews, is a contact point for processing european statistic reviews in the field of migration and stay according
to EU law, fulfils tasks of governing and administering data of the databases of the BAPB; carries out activities related to
administration of databases of the border police and alien police.
Remarks and comments to the content may be sent to the email address: email@example.com.
The same address applies for any proposals and knowledge of crime connected to irregular migration and smuggling of persons.